3.5" drive (Sony MPF920-1) goes berserk when I connect it
Again, there is no way any type of interface that plugs into a USB port is going to be able to provide 1A of current @12V. A standard USB port has a normal rating of 100mA. Heavy duty USB-C ports, designed for charging peripherals (like phones) are rated at 500mA. I don't think there is actually a USB connector itself that is rated at 1A. Also, a 12V device needing 1A (12 watts of power) is going to need substantially more than 1A of current from a 5V booster circuit. I have several of the SATA/IDE to USB controllers and they all have a 12V wall adapter input because that is not an option for standard (non-SSD) hard drives, and floppy drives.

I can certainly inspect your SuperCard Pro board and see if it is broken. I offer a lifetime warranty on my products. You just have to pay for shipping.
(08-26-2022, 11:01 PM)admin Wrote: Again, there is no way any type of interface that plugs into a USB port is going to be able to provide 

He did not say it was USB powered -> "I should clarify, what I meant was the SATA/IDE to USB controller has its own separate power supply..." In other words it was a wall wart/brick that provides +12V and +5V with the proper Molex connector. I have a similar unit that is about 15 years old and the power supply with it is mains powered and works great for many things that require +5V and +12V.
Ok, that makes sense! Smile