WiModem232 on Apple //e with SSC no longer displays any output
I've got something weird going on that I'd love a little bit of help with.

Without any configuration changes to my Apple //e or my modem, my rev 2 LCD WiModem232 on my Apple //e stopped initializing in ProTERM 3.1.  In other terminal programs such as AGATE and ZTerm, the modem wasn't generating any output to the screen.  (No response to commands such as ATI, and no local echo of what I type, and if I connect to a BBS, no output to the screen)  I can tell that the modem is receiving commands, because I can type commands like at*swap and atdtgoogle.com:80 and I can see the LCD screen respond.  I can even do +++ to get into command mode and ath to hang up the connection to the whatever BBS I am connected to. But, there's no text output of any kind, before, after, or during the connection; The only way I know I'm in command mode or disconnected is by looking at the LCD screen on the modem itself.

I figured before I jumped down the rabbit hole I'd start from zero.  My modem was a number of firmware revisions behind so I used ZTerm (a generic terminal program) and I performed a firmware update to the latest version.  Even though I saw no text output, the update was successful.  I then performed a full emergency reset (where the LED rapidly flashes between two colors after jumping those two pads when applying power to the unit and keeping them shorted for ten seconds) and reset my terminal program to 300 baud.  I then double checked that the DIP switches on my Super Serial Card were identical to those shown in the https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=477 thread, following the setup process exactly as described.  However, even after typing AT*D1&C0&W in terminal mode, the modem still shows no output of any kind.  It accepts commands as described above, it connects, but the modem never sends a single character to the terminal screen, regardless of which terminal program I use.

I had a problem similar to this back in Firmware update 2.70 that I posted about here but this doesn't seem to be the same thing, because all combinations of *Dx and &Cx don't seem to change the symptom.  I have another known-good Super Serial Card, so I swapped that one and it's cable and bracket into my //e but the symptoms did not change.

I have a second WiModem232, a known-good Rev 1 LCD model that lives on my Apple IIc currently. I moved that known good modem over to my Apple //e and got the same symptoms.  Then, to be thorough, I tested my Rev 2 modem on that IIc, and I got different symptoms, where the modem would initialize and I could see output on the screen, but I couldn't successfully connect to anything over Telnet.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong from a software and configuration standpoint that's over my head, or if it's time for me to buy a new WiModem232.

Any advice for me?
- Jarrod Kailef, Wearer of Many Hats

[Image: SignatureRow.png?raw=1]

Messages In This Thread
WiModem232 on Apple //e with SSC no longer displays any output - by Kailef - 11-26-2020, 05:41 PM