What am I doing wrong ? Disk Media Test
If I may press your expertise a little further Jim ?
I have processed around 300+ DS DD floppies so far in an attempt to salvage a few for my A1200.
Around 10% passed first time the media test so these were marked as good and thus possibly reliable.
A large number were useless and will be kept only for shutters ..and cases etc
There were however a good few which were borderline with only a few bad tracks reported.
These were kept in a seperate pile..and I was ready to give up on them.
...until that is I erased them first ..and then ran the test again..chosing re-try or ignore when a bad track was found.
Strangely on completion the test was run again..and quite often completed with no errors ?
Now I'm confused ..was the original test flawed in some way ?
Is it possible the constant spinning and surface contact of the heads on the media has somehow fixed the errors ?
Another thought springs to mind ..
could this mild abrasive action have actually 'cleaned' the floppy surface thus restoring it (effectively polishing the disk surface)?
..and finally would disks 'recovered in this way be considered reliable going forward ?
I have left some of these disks overnight and tested again after 'resting' them ..and sure enough they still pass with flying colours.
The ones I have written off usually failed at the start of the test ..errors reported test failed at track zero side 0 or side 1.
Your thoughts on this would be most welcome and possibly enlightning.
rgds
Evan

Messages In This Thread
RE: What am I doing wrong ? Disk Media Test - by Vipersan - 03-02-2020, 03:16 PM