WiModem232 and ProTERM 3.1 for Apple II
You need to use ATE1 in order to have the commands echo'd back.  This is not a requirement of course, it's just so you can see the commands.  However, it seems that ProTERM does not like to have the commands echo'd back and just looks for an 'OK' response.  EVERY time ProTERM hangs up it is internally sending ATE0 to prevent the echo from occurring.  This drives me nuts!  I am always having to type ATE1 to get the echo back when I drop into terminal mode.

You need to do the follow with ProTERM (because it is too stupid to be able to switch baud rates from a simple drop-down menu!):

At 300 baud (and a 300 baud driver already loaded), go to terminal mode and change the baud rate to 9600 using AT*B9600 {RETURN}.

Now, go back to the menu and select INSTALL.  Select MODEM and then choose a 9600 baud driver.  I use the Generic Fixed-Speed (which works at ANY baud rate, I just so happen to use 9600 baud most of the time).  Use the init string of X1&C1&K1.  This turns on extended response mode, DCD, and hardware flow control.  Accept the settings.  Now, you can go use 9600 baud.

Don't forget that when you use the auto-dialer you MUST be selecting the SAME baud rate that you are using for the driver.  You can choose to use 2400 baud if the modem/driver is 9600 baud.

Your init string above is basically what I use - except that &C0 turns on the DCD full time, so there is no way for ProTERM to know when the mode connects via the DCD line - however, ProTERM only looks at the CONNECT message to know its connected.  ATX1(or X2 or X3 or X4) turns on extended mode so when you connect at 9600 baud it will see CONNECT 9600.  &D2 can be used to hang-up the modem (if you have cut the traces and made the jumpers as required), but ProTERM doesn't use DTR to hang up the modem - it hangs up the modem by sending +++ATE0V1H.  That string causes the WiModem232 to go into command mode, turn off auto-echo, turn on verbose mode, and hang up the modem.   So, technically the only thing you need in your init string is ATX1 - everything else is not used - except the *T1.  You should only be using that with BBS systems that require it, or you are going to have issues with graphics corruption and file transfers failing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: WiModem232 and ProTERM 3.1 for Apple II - by admin - 02-02-2018, 12:41 AM