Hard sectored media
I have a hard sectored 5 1/4" floppy that I want to preserve. I have dumped it using the no-index option and is currently deschiffering the results. Here I got a question: Will the flux start to be sampled relative the first index hole found or just at random place on the track? I understand the index hole is not checked again but at the starting point it would be good to know it is at the start of a sector.

When turning on the index check the floppy drive starts to stutter and I guess the SCP software is stepping the head 16 times per track instead of 1, which got me thinking.

1) Best thing would of course be to be able to specify the number of index holes per revolution. I think I would be capable to implement that but the firmware source code is not public, right? Any plans to provide a library for custom firmware development?

2) Next best thing would be to be able to define 16 revolutions per track and then just dump the flux to a SCP file. This would of course surprise the current samples/revolution logic so that would need to get a free running mode. This need to be described in the SCP file track header, maybe by setting the RPM to something insane like 360 x 16.

EDIT: 3) A possibly simple solution would be to set the number of ignored index pulses between head steps?!

Since I am doing this for preservation I need to restore the filesystem from the floppy on a PC from the flux data. I don't have the original hardware functioning. Is this even possible without features as proposed? How would I find the start of the track?

BR / Joakim

Messages In This Thread
Hard sectored media - by Edstrom - 02-11-2016, 09:34 AM
RE: Hard sectored media - by admin - 02-11-2016, 07:03 PM
RE: Hard sectored media - by Edstrom - 02-12-2016, 06:51 AM
RE: Hard sectored media - by admin - 02-12-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: Hard sectored media - by Edstrom - 02-12-2016, 02:16 PM