Possible to downgrade firmware?
Hi,

I recently upgraded to firmware v3.21 (not sure which version was installed previously).

After the upgrade I can't seem to connect to most BBS's via CCGMS anymore :
Dialing
NO CARRIER

I tried different version of CCGMS (2021 , 2020 , 2019 , ...) and they all result in the same issue.
When I manually force connection via ADTD in CCGMS the connection to the BBS sometimes works, and I will be able to log in.

When I try to download a file from a BBS the download also hangs, so something is not right.
Is there a way to manually downgrade the firmware of the WiModem to a previous version?

Best Regards,

Bart
You can do that by type AT*DOWNGRADE, but that is not going to fix your issue as nothing has ever changed that would cause a connection problem like you describe. Did you make a chang to your router? Did you enable a firewall in it?
(01-10-2021, 03:06 PM)admin Wrote: You can do that by type AT*DOWNGRADE, but that is not going to fix your issue as nothing has ever changed that would cause a connection problem like you describe.  Did you make a change to your router?  Did you enable a firewall in it?

I also have been having issues after the last up-grade.  I use my WiModem on my C64 to answer my BBS.  After the last up-grade when you call in it now says BUSY.  The BBS on the other hand will say CONNECTING and then clear line and go back to waiting for call.  Downgrading did not help either.  The connection is making it to the BBS, but I am not sure why the caller sees BUSY and the BBS tries to connect.

I need help ASAP now that my BBS does not answer.

-Spitfire
rof.cnet64.com:6400
The busy messages occurs when there is already a connection in progress.

I can “call” from my PC to a WiModem and that works.  If I try calling from my iPhone at that point I get the busy message as you expect.  Have you tried calling from a PC?
I spent a couple of hours tinkering again with this today. I was not able to see any issues at all when calling in from numerous different devices. I guess you could trying doing a factory reset (AT&F) of the WiModem to see if that makes any difference. I didn't have to after upgrading v3.20 to v3.21 firmware on a WiModem.
(01-11-2021, 06:06 PM)SpitfireTN Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 03:06 PM)admin Wrote: You can do that by type AT*DOWNGRADE, but that is not going to fix your issue as nothing has ever changed that would cause a connection problem like you describe.  Did you make a change to your router?  Did you enable a firewall in it?

I also have been having issues after the last up-grade.  I use my WiModem on my C64 to answer my BBS.  After the last up-grade when you call in it now says BUSY.  The BBS on the other hand will say CONNECTING and then clear line and go back to waiting for call.  Downgrading did not help either.  The connection is making it to the BBS, but I am not sure why the caller sees BUSY and the BBS tries to connect.

-Spitfire
HA! I just posted a new thread on this (sorry I didn't see this prior). https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=787

I was just about to call your BBS Spitfire and see if you upgraded and had issues. (still will) and see if it's fixed.

DEFINITELY something going on in there Jim.
BBS: micromansion.servebbs.net:6400
I am not sure how to diagnose this issue. I don’t see it happen. I called from telnet portals to a wimodem and wimodem to wimodem without any issues. Did you trying doing a factory reset (AT&F)?

Do you know what version of firmware you were using previously? I keep all firmware versions in backup and I can set any of those to be used as a BETA.
Photo 
(01-22-2021, 09:14 PM)Mr.Micro Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 06:06 PM)SpitfireTN Wrote:

-Spitfire
HA! I just posted a new thread on this (sorry I didn't see this prior). https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=787

I was just about to call your BBS Spitfire and see if you upgraded and had issues. (still will) and see if it's fixed.

DEFINITELY something going on in there Jim.
Hi Jim,

Yes, I was using V3.20-11/25/20. I tend to stay up to date.

In the other thread I posted, (in the FIRMWARE section) BEFORE seeing this, I kinda outline in detail everything I tried to rectify it, without resolve.

I DID NOT try a factory reset until I saw your response. I did follow up with Spitfire on his BBS and he mentioned he did a factory reset and a firmware downgrade and the modem DOES NOT answer anymore, period. However, he can get it to call out on his local network, as can I, but we definitely cannot use it to run our BBS's anymore since it won't connect.

I don't know why you cannot recreate it, but the problem does exist. I was running the firmware mentioned above, did the upgrade and now it doesn't answer.

Here's my modem string, maybe if you try with exact modem string from 3.20-11/25/20 to the latest, that will trigger something (although the modem string isn't all that fancy, lol), but you never know. I'll also include a screenshot of at&v for your reference.

ate0q0v0&c1x1&k0&s1*b0
s0=1 s2=43

Interested to know your findings our how we're going to resolve this.

Best,
J

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So I just looked at what was new with the latest firmware and adding a TelNET option by having to put t0/t1 at end of URL according to at*help!, but according to https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=313, it says BEFORE URL.

Eitherway, it didn't work, but I'd bet something is amiss with that causing the problem and confusion with the modem being able to connect.

I still can't help but wonder why downgrading doesn't restore it.

Best,
J

UPDATE: I have tried an AT&F and problem still exists. Quite frankly, that's not much of a 'factory reset' all it really does is provide a nuisance of having to go back and set all the AT commands and S registers. The baud reset really didn't reset the baud. Although in the settings it said 300 baud, it was communicating with the TERMINAL at 2400 and when changed to 300, it lost translation. Thankfully it kept the WiFi settings, but I would expect a 'Factory Reset' to erase EVERYTHING, even restore original firmaware, but based on what it actually does, there's little chance that would reverse whatever has happened anyway. Even a downgrade doesn't resolve it.

Jim, I've set the WiModem up on a terminal under wimodem.dnsalias.net:6401, feel free to ping it and you can see for yourself. It's just an open terminal.
Have you tried calling the WiModem while you are using CCGMS to see what is going on?  You should see RING, RING, RING over and over until you type ATA<RETURN> to do the answer.

I am not sure what to think.  If you go back to the previous version it should be back to the previous firmware. I did not try using something other than 6400 for the port, I will change my setup to use 6401 and see if that makes some type of difference.

The AT&F definiately resets everything except the baud rate in EEPROM to preset values.  So, your port would be reset back to 6400, not 6401.  So, if you are expecting to be using port 6401 it is definitely not going to work!