Got the error "SuperCard Hardware in Update Mode" with normal jumper setting.
Received my SuperCard Pro last month and opened the sealed package today for testing.

But I got a very similar problem like the described in this thread:
https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=695

As you mentioned in the post that all boards sold recently should have no need for updating before using. I have not done any further firmware flashing works yet though I have tested switching to the jumper setting for firmware updating mode. I can see the blue light list. I then switched back to the normal jumper setting and write this post.

Test environment:
1. Win10 x64 1909 (18363.1082) (Simplified Chinese Edition). Native PC, not virtual machining.
2. Win7 x64 SP1 (Simplified Chinese Edition). Virtual Machine running in VMWare Pro v15.5.2
Note: 
1.In both test environments, SuperCard Pro shows 2 green lights(the upper led near the USB, and the middle led near 3.5inch power)
2.In both test environments, the Windows Device Manager shows the "USB Serial Converter" device on USB cable connected with no error mark on the icon.
3.In my test, I connect a 3.5-inch NEC drive. Power is supplied through the SuperCard Pro 3.5-inch power output pin. But no matter I connect the drive or not it won't affect the testing result. The error "SuperCard Hardware in Update Mode" always popup after the splash screen.

Sad
Make sure jumper J1 (which the board’s power jumper) is properly in place.  You should see the 3 “pretty lights” light up on power up.  Without that jumper you will get the message about the firmware needing updated.  You don’t need a disk drive connected when running the software.  Have you tried running the software without the drive connected to see if the message does not appear?  Low power on the USB port can cause this issue.

This could actually be Windows issue as well.  The software does not support the DBCS that is part of Kanji and Chinese languages.  I know there some odd things that happen.
(09-26-2020, 07:26 PM)admin Wrote: Make sure jumper J1 (which the board’s power jumper) is properly in place.  You should see the 3 “pretty lights” light up on power up.  Without that jumper you will get the message about the firmware needing updated.  You don’t need a disk drive connected when running the software.  Have you tried running the software without the drive connected to see if the message does not appear?  Low power on the USB port can cause this issue.

This could actually be Windows issue as well.  The software does not support the DBCS that is part of Kanji and Chinese languages.  I know there some odd things that happen.

The J1 is plugged in, otherwise all three the pretty lights will not lit(while currently, the middle green one lit). If all 3 led should light up, then there seems something wrong happened.

I have also run the main program without attaching the board. It showed an error message like "device not found"(I'm not having it in my hand right now. So it's not exactly the text shown.). And the program main interface displayed normally. But plug the SuperCard Pro board in this state won't let the main program detect it.

I will re-test it tonight or tomorrow with other USB cable and another MacBook Pro to see if it's caused by the USB power supply under-load problem.  And I will test under the English version of Win10 to make another test run if all the above tests failed. But as the main program interface can be properly shown on devices not connected, I guess it may not be the key problem. Anyway, I will make posts to let you know for the test result. 
Smile
Yes, on power up the red LED will flash for a few seconds and then go out and the green LED comes on. The blue LED doesn't come on (unless you are in firmware update mode as you noticed previously) so it seems you have power.

You stated you tried without attaching the board. Have you tried running the program with the board attached, but the drive NOT attached to see if the update firmware message appears? If it doesn't, then I would think this is some type of USB power problem. Maybe the drive you are trying to use is drawing more power than your USB port can handle.