Imaging a working IBM CP/M 86 disk
I’m not having any luck with this so I’d like some advice.

I have an IBM CP/M disk I want to backup. I have done the following modes and they don’t work -

IBM 360k Index, Splice, Index 42 track, Splice 42 track, CPM Index, CPM Splice, CPM Index 42, CPM Splice 42.

Since all these failed I cleaned the heads several times and did it all again. Still didn’t work.

So.. a) what am I doing wrong? Or b) is my 5.25” Panasonic disk drive dead, if so - can SCP tell me this?

Thanks!

Anthony
CP/M disks are typically 40 tracks, double-sided. So, you would use the IBM360 INDEX option. Make an image using SPLICE and send it to me at data @ cbmstuff.com

I can look at your image and tell you what the issue is.
(01-06-2020, 05:55 PM)admin Wrote: CP/M disks are typically 40 tracks, double-sided.  So, you would use the IBM360 INDEX option.  Make an image using SPLICE and send it to me at data @ cbmstuff.com

I can look at your image and tell you what the issue is.

Thanks, I have just sent you an email.

Anthony
Got your image. It's perfect! You can use HxC Floppy Drive Emulator to look at the sector data and all of the sectors are good. So, there seems to be a problem with the writing process of your setup. Create an image of the disk you wrote and send that to me. I can see how that looks, and maybe be able to determine the writing issue from looking at it. The problem could be a bad disk (you are writing to), the density being wrong (something you can change in the pull-down menu or via a jumper on the drive), or the drive has an issue. What disk drive type/model are you using?
(01-07-2020, 09:38 AM)Thanks for looking at my disk. I am using a Panasonic JU-475-5.I played with densities (it was set to writing in low density) - that didn’t change anything. I will send you the image of an imaged disk now.Anthonyadmin Wrote: Got your image. It's perfect!  You can use HxC Floppy Drive Emulator to look at the sector data and all of the sectors are good.  So, there seems to be a problem with the writing process of your setup.  Create an image of the disk you wrote and send that to me.  I can see how that looks, and maybe be able to determine the writing issue from looking at it.  The problem could be a bad disk (you are writing to), the density being wrong (something you can change in the pull-down menu or via a jumper on the drive), or the drive has an issue.  What disk drive type/model are you using?
Well, I got your image of an image.  It seems that tracks 20-40 are not writing back to the disk - they are complete noise (like no attempt).  It's either that or your disk you are writing to is bad.  Go to the Utilities portion of the SuperCard Pro software and try the media integrity test and see if the disk you are writing to passes.
(01-12-2020, 01:52 AM)admin Wrote: Well, I got your image of an image.  It seems that tracks 20-40 are not writing back to the disk - they are complete noise (like no attempt).  It's either that or your disk you are writing to is bad.  Go to the Utilities portion of the SuperCard Pro software and try the media integrity test and see if the disk you are writing to passes.

Hi there Jim -

Media tested out OK, as per attached image. Its weird that my drive READS ok but writes wrong. Is there a step that I might not be doing that is making this happen?

Anthony

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hmmm... I need to look at your original image file and try writing it back myself.
Let me know how you go!

Anthony
I have installed the software on 32 Bit Windows (rather than 64 bit) to see if that resolves anything. I'll point out that this was actually to get NIBTools working on OpenCBM - but I thought it was worth testing.

Nope - didn't work.