IP Address Changing
I run Willow Creek BBS, and I often find out that the no calls are due to the IP address changing. Each time that does that, I need to change my port forwarding address on my router to the new IP.. This has happened several times. Is there a way to lock the IP address so it doesn't change itself every couple of weeks?? IT's getting quite annoying and making me want to go the hardwired route. I love your modems except for that..

Thanks!
Your issue has nothing to do with the WiModem!  The problem is that your IP address is be changed randomly by your service provider.  There is no way for the WiModem to know about this and change your router's IP address for you.  You need to either have a static IP address or use a service that you give you a DDNS that is monitored and the IP changed automatically for you.  There are several services available.  I use NO-IP myself (www.noip.com).  I am using a TP-Link router which has direct support for several DDNS setups.  You can google "ddns service provider" for more information. What is the IP:port for your BBS? I would like to check it out!
(02-19-2018, 11:44 AM)admin Wrote: Your issue has nothing to do with the WiModem!  The problem is that your IP address is be changed randomly by your service provider.  There is no way for the WiModem to know about this and change your router's IP address for you.  You need to either have a static IP address or use a service that you give you a DDNS that is monitored and the IP changed automatically for you.  There are several services available.  I use NO-IP myself (www.noip.com).  I am using a TP-Link router which has direct support for several DDNS setups.  You can google "ddns service provider" for more information.  What is the IP:port for your BBS?  I would like to check it out!

Sorry,
What I meant was the the IP on the Wifi modem changes every so often. I am using a ddns service. I tried (with the service) to use my router's ip, but the router was stopping it.

my bbs that's up is: (telenet bbs)
willowcreekbbs.dynu.net port 6400
The WiModem's IP address is set by your router. There is no way to make a static IP address for the WiModem. Every time the WiModem is powered on it communicates with your router to get the IP address. That IP address is assigned by the router itself (not chosen by the WiModem). So, maybe there is something you can do in your router config to prevent it from changing.
(02-19-2018, 12:44 PM)admin Wrote: The WiModem's IP address is set by your router.  There is no way to make a static IP address for the WiModem.  Every time the WiModem is powered on it communicates with your router to get the IP address.  That IP address is assigned by the router itself (not chosen by the WiModem).  So, maybe there is something you can do in your router config to prevent it from changing.

Thanks! I'll see what I can do with the router. That helps a ton!!
Actually, I just did some online searching and I might be able to now set a static IP.  There were some recent changes to the ESP8266 libraries.  This would also require that you set the router's IP and subnet mask.

The solution that most people are using though is router based.  In the router you should have a section (D-Link and TP-Link routers do) that deals with assigning IP addresses based on the MAC address.
(02-19-2018, 12:53 PM)admin Wrote: Actually, I just did some online searching and I might be able to now set a static IP.  There were some recent changes to the ESP8266 libraries.  This would also require that you set the router's IP and subnet mask.

The solution that most people are using though is router based.  In the router you should have a section (D-Link and TP-Link routers do) that deals with assigning IP addresses based on the MAC address.

mine is a lynksys e1000
Look at page 16 of the E1000 manual (link below).  You will see a function called DHCP Reservation.  You can use this function to set a fixed IP address for the MAC address of the WiModem.

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/u...-WEB,0.pdf