WiModem232 and ProTERM 3.1 for Apple II
Regrettably, I am experiencing inconsistent behavior with ProTERM 3.1 on my IIGS (ROM 03). I am on the latest firmware from what I can tell. The unit doesn't display any new update notices and AT*UPDATE doesn't download new firmware. I am using a straight-through, IIGS Modem cable which I've used for other applications without issue.

I am using the Generic 9600 Modem Driver and am leaving the init string as-is.  

I have two BBSs setup in the Dial menu, Dura-Europos and Sanctum.

In each case, I use the Dial menu, choose either BBS, and Dial.

With Dura-Europos, most of the time ProTERM drops into Online mode after connection. When it does, Dura cannot detect my terminal emulation properly even though that is set in the Emulation entry on the Dial screen. Since Dura asks me during connection what kind of terminal I use, I will choose the proper one. Typically, I am using ProTERM Special. After I disconnect from the BBS gracefully ('T' for Terminal Connection at the BBS's main menu), ProTERM goes Offline properly.

In the case of Sanctum, the WiModem232 shows connected on the OLED display but ProTERM never goes online. It will sit there and re-dial forever. I can cancel and put myself online (option-T) and then interact with the BBS. Again, the emulation mode is set to ProTERM Special.

I've reset the unit's configuration a couple of times, although I don't seem to be able to find a way to fully erase it. The hard or soft reset keeps some information around, including the Wifi connection information. I must have missed something in the manual though. And since this is a IIGS, there are no dip-switches to throw or set.

In case anyone cares to try, these BBS addresses are:

dura-bbs.net:6359
sanctumbbs.com:6502

Cheers!

M
I have accounts on both of these BBS's, but I log in with an Amiga. I will try them with ProTERM on my Laser 128. I just got it up and running, calling using the 300 baud driver just fine. I will try the 2400 baud and 9600 baud options shortly.

Make sure that you have X1 in your init string, otherwise ProTERM will try to change the baud rate!
Using the Hayes SmartModem 2400 driver with the default Init string works perfect for me. The default Init string for the Hayes SmartModem 9600 driver and the default init string for the Generic 9600 baud driver does not work however.
"What" doesn't work with 9600?  Does it not go online?  Did you set the WiModem232 to 9600 baud mode before trying these?  This seems to be the biggest battle with ProTERM - it is assuming your modem is at a fixed speed and can't be changed.  Modems back in the 80's that were 2400 baud also could use 300 baud or 1200 baud, you just issued an AT command to change the baud rate (or moved a slide switch in some cases).

ProTERM is horrible - at least compared to Commodore 64 and Amiga terminal programs.  There appears to be no way to simply go to a terminal mode where you can enter AT commands, and then change the baud rate through a pull-down menu.  With C64, Amiga, Atari ST, and PC terminal programs you can type AT commands and easily switch the baud rate (like after issuing AT*B to change the baud rate).
Admin wrote:
>There appears to be no way to simply go to a terminal mode where you can enter AT commands

Wow, I thought this was just me, and I couldn't figure it out. Glad to know I'm not alone on that one.
What could someone recommend for an Apple //e terminal program that is better?
(01-29-2018, 06:14 PM)willwinter Wrote: Admin wrote:
>There appears to be no way to simply go to a terminal mode where you can enter AT commands

Wow, I thought this was just me, and I couldn't figure it out. Glad to know I'm not alone on that one.
What could someone recommend for an Apple //e terminal program that is better?

You can do this with Solid-Apple-T or Option-Apple-T depending upon whether your keyboard has a Solid Apple key or not.
(01-29-2018, 12:44 PM)Byte Knight Wrote: Using the Hayes SmartModem 2400 driver with the default Init string works perfect for me. The default Init string for the Hayes SmartModem 9600 driver and the default init string for the Generic 9600 baud driver does not work however.

In my ProTERM 3.1 there isn't a "Hayes SmartModen 9600" driver. There is a "Hayes SmartModem 9600 (CTS/RTS)" driver which would be something different.

I have been using the Generic 9600 Baud Driver with the default init string and not. I'd have to know more about what's not working.
(01-29-2018, 06:14 PM)willwinter Wrote: What could someone recommend for an Apple //e terminal program that is better?

There are a number of them but "better" is a relative term.
Z-Link
Modem.MGR
Agate

I've used Z-Link and Modem.MGR a few times. They're very basic. No real phonebook capability. Since the WiModem232 has its own phonebook though, I'm not sure that matters.
Yes, I found that triangle-T toggles between ONLINE and OFFLINE modes (which means either the menu is there or it isn't).

My v3.1 of ProTERM has dozens of different types of modems that you can select. I just released a firmware update that solves the hanging up issue with 300 to 2400 baud modems for sure. I will look at 9600 baud next.

What I found you have to do with ProTERM to be able to use different baud rates is to change the baud rate via AT*Bxxxx and then go to the INSTALL and select the modem driver for your new baud rate. Once there, you can then use AT&W to save that baud rate (if you want to). I will do that when testing out the 9600 baud driver.

I implemented DTR, but it requires that you modify the jumper settings as shown in the manual (but for JUST the IN). Once you do that, you also need to use AT&D2 (or just add &D2 to the init string) and that will support hanging up by changing DTR. I tried this on my Laser128 and none of the modem drivers up to 2400 baud actually change DTR. It could be that 9600 and higher baud is the only time this is done or something. I will experiment with 9600 baud now.
(01-29-2018, 03:00 PM)admin Wrote: "What" doesn't work with 9600?  Does it not go online?  Did you set the WiModem232 to 9600 baud mode before trying these?  This seems to be the biggest battle with ProTERM - it is assuming your modem is at a fixed speed and can't be changed.  Modems back in the 80's that were 2400 baud also could use 300 baud or 1200 baud, you just issued an AT command to change the baud rate (or moved a slide switch in some cases).

ProTERM is horrible - at least compared to Commodore 64 and Amiga terminal programs.  There appears to be no way to simply go to a terminal mode where you can enter AT commands, and then change the baud rate through a pull-down menu.  With C64, Amiga, Atari ST, and PC terminal programs you can type AT commands and easily switch the baud rate (like after issuing AT*B to change the baud rate).

My bad - I was trying to change drivers without changing the baud rate first.  Duh...  Upon further testing the Generic 9600 Baud Driver works fine.  The Hayes SmartModem 9600 driver initializes fine but won't connect with the Dial command via the menu.  AT commands work though.

I should have told you that Option-T will get you right to Terminal Mode then Option-T to get you back to the main menu.  Open Apple + the first letter in the word of the menu bar will get you to that menu.  For example, Open Apple-O will pull down the Online menu where you can get to the online parameters.  I've got a mouse for my IIc+ which makes navigation much easier.  

Once you get the basics down, you'll find that ProTERM is a very powerful program.  It even has an Unattended Access mode - how cool is that?!