Issues with Win7 64Bit and SCP 1.5.1/1.8
Hi,

yesterday I got my SCP. I run into issue with Win7 64Bit. Of course I’ve started scp_setup.exe in admin mode and msstdfmt.dll is not the issue here. What I get at the end of the install process is:

“There is a newer version of SuperCard software available. Do you want to load and install it now?” On the windows header is shown: “Current version 1.5.1 New version 1.8”

After I click ‘OK’ I get very quickly “Installation of the new version is complete”. If I click ‘OK’ I get again “There is a newer version of SuperCard software available …” If I click “NO” the SCP software starts. It shows version 1.5.1 – hardware version 1.1 and Firmware version 1.2. The software itself works but freezes if I try to exit the software.

After a reboot I run into the same error situation.
Did in you install the SCP software in Administrator mode?  You must also run it in Administrator mode by either changing the properties to always run it that way, or running it each time that way.  What is happening is that the new file is not being written into the C:\Program Files xxx\SCP folder due to a permissions problem.

The software should never freeze.  The last thing it tries to do on exit is save the config file, so I suppose if it was not installed and ran in Administrator mode that this could happen.  I have never seen it before, and nobody else has reported that either.
(10-10-2015, 12:57 PM)frank128 Wrote: The software itself works but freezes if I try to exit the software.
After a reboot I run into the same error situation.
That sounds like the same problem I ran in to with my SCP. It seemed to be some kind of USB port incompatibility or conflict. On mine, I worked around it by installing a PCI USB card and running it off of that rather than the motherboard's USB. Never did get to the bottom of what was causing that though.

What kind of machine is this? (motherboard, chipset, ect.)
(10-10-2015, 02:47 PM)admin Wrote: Did in you install the SCP software in Administrator mode?

of course Yes

(10-10-2015, 02:47 PM)admin Wrote: The software should never freeze.

But it freeze.
(10-10-2015, 06:54 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: That sounds like the same problem I ran in to with my SCP. It seemed to be some kind of USB port incompatibility or conflict.

Huh

(10-10-2015, 06:54 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: What kind of machine is this? (motherboard, chipset, ect.)

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

USB 2.0: AMD SB950
USB 3.0: ASMedia

I will test SCP with the USB 3.0 ports.
It's impossible for this to be a USB problem. The USB interface isn't opened until after the server is checked for a new version. This problem has to do with Windows permissions.
(10-10-2015, 08:27 PM)admin Wrote: It's impossible for this to be a USB problem. The USB interface isn't opened until after the server is checked for a new version.  This problem has to do with Windows permissions.

I've reinstalled the software and connected the SCP to a USB 3.0 (instead of USB 2.0: AMD SB950) port. This has solved the issue. Smile

Thanks
Now plug that SCP into your non-USB 3.0 ports and see if it also works. Like I said, this is not a USB issue. I know exactly where the problem lies, and there is nothing I can do to fix it when the software is not installed and used in Administrator mode.
(10-12-2015, 01:42 PM)admin Wrote: Now plug that SCP into your non-USB 3.0 ports and see if it also works.  Like I said, this is not a USB issue.  I know exactly where the problem lies, and there is nothing I can do to fix it when the software is not installed and used in Administrator mode.

It is an USB issue! I completely reinstalled my CBM Win7 system. It works with the USB 3.0 port. But it does not work (symptoms described in this thread) on the USB2 ports!
I only have USB 2.0 ports on the development PC, so it's not a USB2 issue for sure.  Smile