The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

CBMSTUFF FORUM
has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - Printable Version

+- CBMSTUFF FORUM (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum)
+-- Forum: CBMSTUFF PRODUCTS (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: WiModem232 / WiModem232 Pro (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=79)
+---- Forum: Usage (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+---- Thread: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? (/showthread.php?tid=469)

Pages: 1 2

has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - Zeropage - 02-01-2018

Has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem (like a "virtual crossover cable")

I saw a youtube video recently showing that some games could be played with a crossover cable connected to 2 different systems Atari ST to Amiga.

Has anyone tried this ?

In theory it should even be possible over the internet if you open and redirect the neccesary ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXu86m4crW8&list=PLUbw0IXAmW2oHPQvpe2hCFR6_ndOXIk3Z&index=4

RE: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - admin - 02-01-2018

Yep, this works fine!  I do it frequently between the WiModem and WiModem232.  The only thing you have to do is run two computers, each with a WiModem/232 and terminal software. Type ATI {RETURN} for one of them to get the IP address and incoming port (defaults to 6400).  Then on the other computer just type ATDT [IP address]:[port] {RETURN}.  You will see RING on the computer that has the incoming connection.  Just type ATA {RETURN} on that computer and they will be connected together.  At that point you can chat with yourself and transfers files between computers.

RE: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - willwinter - 02-27-2018

(02-01-2018, 09:08 PM)admin Wrote: Yep, this works fine!  I do it frequently between the WiModem and WiModem232.  The only thing you have to do is run two computers, each with a WiModem/232 and terminal software.  Type ATI {RETURN} for one of them to get the IP address and incoming port (defaults to 6400).  Then on the other computer just type ATDT [IP address]:[port] {RETURN}.  You will see RING on the computer that has the incoming connection.  Just type ATA {RETURN} on that computer and they will be connected together.  At that point you can chat with yourself and transfers files between computers.

Oh man! Now I have to buy a second WiModem232!  Big Grin

RE: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - sean_skroht - 03-24-2018

For anyone interested in trying, I gave this a shot the other day but it was a bit hit n' miss. Hooked up two Amiga's, each with a WiModem232 on the same Local Area Network and we tried some games. Using a new top notch ASUS AC Wireless Router with good signal.

Lotus 2 requires pretty much zero latency over serial link but unfortunately this is not achievable over Wi-Fi on LAN and we found that the link disconnected within the first 30 seconds of starting a race.

Super Skidmarks was more tolerant as the game uses 2400 baud and we found that game fairly lag free on LAN.

Populous was an easy one to get going and was a joy to play.

Stunt Car Racer: Couldn't get this game to connect at all. We tried every baud rate but simply could not get a connection over serial link.

Knights of the Sky: Like Stunt Car Racer, this was another game that wouldn't connect either.

So far that's all we had time to test. So it would seem at this stage that best use case is BBS's and transferring files and, although a couple work, not so great for games.

RE: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - admin - 03-24-2018

Don't forget to enable hardware flow control (AT&K1). Multiplayer games may not connect or work well because of the latency due to the Internet. Typically, latency over phone line is one character, which is a little over 3ms at 2400 baud. Internet latency can be more than 10 times that with a great connection.

RE: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - sean_skroht - 03-24-2018

OK. But this was over Local Area Network. Lotus 2 couldn't even keep a stable connection and wouldn't even connect at all with hardware flow control on. According to Toni Wilen some games also use 9 bit mode instead of the usual 8 bit mode such as Stunt Car Racer. So just letting others know that this may not be ideal as a null modem replacement.

RE: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - admin - 03-24-2018

Local area network (WiFi) is what I am referring to.  Try doing a ping test from your PC to your WiModem.  It's not anywhere near 3ms.

9 bit mode is parity added.  I could support it, but I have not seen anything that actually uses it.

RE: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - sean_skroht - 03-25-2018

Yep did a ping test and, as you say, latency is very low, less then 1ms actually.

Would it be possible please if you could test Lotus 2 null modem serial link between 2 WiModem232's on the same LAN to see what results you get? If it is smooth and the connection doesn't drop out please let me know what settings you used because, for the life of me, we can't get it to work. Also it would be great if you could add 9 bit mode support since Stunt Car Racer does use this mode and apparently a few other games do as well.

The intent was to buy a second one for myself and do away with stringing across a null modem cable between my two machines as they're not positioned all that close to one another. Up until now I have been performing tests with my own and another WiModem232 owned by a mate of mine.

RE: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - admin - 03-25-2018

A ping test is way more than 1ms because there is latency of the serial transmission.  The best I have ever seen is around 20ms, which is too slow for many things, even Zmodem has issues (Xmodem, Ymodem, etc. all work fine though).  I would be highly surprised to find any NULL modem games for the Amiga work because of the latency.  These games could also be using unsupported pins.  With the original WiModem232 (V1) you can have either RTS/CTS or DTR/DSR supported, but not both pairs at the same time.  With the V2 hardware I made it so that both pairs are supported at the same time.  The games could be using DTR and/or DSR for some functions.  A way to determine that would be to put a RS-232 breakout box inline with the NULL modem cable and disable DTR and DSR individually to see if the game stops working.

I don't know if I own an original disk of Lotus 2.  I am assuming that this is a racing game?

I would need to find documentation on any games that use this '9 bit mode' to know what '9 bit mode' actually is.

RE: has anyone tried connecting wimodem to wimodem ? - sean_skroht - 03-25-2018

Ok. I must be getting confused with what you meant by pinging the WiModem. I just did a ping to the WiModem's IP address from Windows CMD. Windows sent 4 packets and received 4 packets back with an average round trip of 1ms. Is there another way I should be doing it?