CBMSTUFF FORUM

Full Version: JU-475-5 won't read or write C64 side 2 of diskettes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have the JU-475-5 drive and followed the settings you have for this model from your 5.25 Jumpers PDF. I am able to copy side 1 of any C64 disk but it will not read side 2 or write to side 2 even using Splice and Index Read and Write Ignore when I flip the disk over. I thought this was one of the drives that would be able to copy side 2 ignoring the index? Have the following set in SCP when I flip disk and try to copy side 2

Drive type - (5.25" - 96tpi)
Weakbits - (Fixed)
Density (Read - Low), (Write - Low)
Index Sensor - (Read - ignore), (Write - ignore)
Disk Types (C64/128)
Copy Mode - (Splice)
Revolutions - 2
You need to set the jumper correctly as described in the information. Check the BX, DX, and EX jumpers.
I can only assume by DX jumper you meant GX jumper? It doesn't appear any of the JU-475-(put any number here) have a DX jumper. Unlike the JU-475-4 that does have EX and GX jumpers, the JU-475-5 does not. I have all jumpers set to what your "5.25 jumpers.pdf" doc from the forum suggests for the JU-475-5. And of the jumpers you mention to look at, the JU-475-5 only has a BX jumper which is the Dual Speed jumper that your doc suggests to be off. Should I try it being on? FYI, the only Pins in your doc that you suggest to be on for this model are:

AT
DC
DA
DS2
OP
Ah. yeah the 475-5 has EX/GX instead of DX/EX. You need to have a jumper only on EX, not on GX.
The 475-5 does NOT have EX, GX or DX. The only jumpers it has are the following:
TM
DS1
DS2
DS3
DS4
DA
HA
MS
OP
AT
AX
1M
BX
RDY
DC
I can only come to the conclusion that this drive is not a good one to pick if you want to do flippy (side 2 non-index read and write)
I have a 475-5 sitting right here -- it's what I personally use!  It certainly does have a EX and GX jumpers!

Can you take a picture of the circuit board you have.  Maybe you have some other board on the 475-5 mechanics?
Sent an email with the pics of the revision number sticker on the back and the board which does match the board layout of the last page of your settings document for "JU-475-5 C08" and that documentation mentions in the NOTE that they removed EX and GX and some other jumpers. So I am guessing these were newer revisions of the board.
Just sent another pic via email... after zooming into the picture of the board I took, I found where the GX jumper used to be, still looking for where the EX used to be also. Now its getting up the nerve to solder on my own jumper at least on the GX location. Sorry to bombard you with emails but just sent another pic where I think it is where they etched EX on the board but don't know where the jumper would go?
Responded to your emails. That seems to be a much different PCB for that JU-475-5 drive compared to what everyone else (including myself) has.
Yup, appears after a certain revision they switched to this board that as the Note section in the "5.25 jumpers.pdf" on the site, States the following with the first sentence being the critical one!!!

Note: Jumpers EX, GX, DD and TH have been removed from drive JU-475-5 C08 starting from this drive’s level
03 (March, ’94). To set the disk change mode 2 on this drive (as used on L1 with GO280D, FP1 fw2.4, FP4
fw3.7), solder a 15 Khom resistor at R18. The JU-475-5 C20 drive will no longer be available from March,
1994; instead, you can use drive JU-475-5 C08 by inserting jumper BX.

Since I didn't do my due diligence, I went by all JU-475-5 had a similar board with EX and GX jumpers. Lesson learned...
Pages: 1 2