CBMSTUFF FORUM

Full Version: PET4016 working with WiModem (but stuck at 300baud)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Very cool, I was able to connect to particles BBS and post/read some messages.

On a 40 column Commodore PET 4016 (that was upgraded to 32K).  (5V from the tape connector on the side)

I used PETTERM  (specifically PETTERM40G.PRG since I have the "graphical" keyboard instead of the "business" keyboard).

My only issues is I couldn't change the baud rate of the WiModem successfully.

I did AT*B1200 and it said "OK" and then any typing after that was garbled (so I assume this means the baud rate change took, however the OLED was still showing "300" but it did show a little "AT*B1200" as it shows the last typed command?)

I assumed the change to 1200 would be stored, so I tried just doing a reboot and re-running PETTERM setting at 1200 baud - but still didn't work.  I had reboot again, set back to 300 baud.

After typing "AT*B1200", I'm not aware of any way to change the baud rate once you've passed the startup menu (where you specify the baud rate upfront).  i.e. the PET doesn't have like ALT, CTRL, ESC, etc. to specify a hot-key to change states.   But I'm new to do this, and maybe am just aware of how.

Still, I expected the OLED on the wiModem to change from "300" to "1200" in the corner.  I also tried 2400, same issues.

Maybe the PET 4016 and Commodore BASIC 4.0 isn't able to go past 300 ?

Thanks for making these devices, very cool Big Grin

Oh, and I wasn't sure how to issue a BACKSPACE from PETTERM.  I recall it being CTRL-H - I tried the "<" and left-cursor on the PET keyboard, but still no luck.  Not a huge deal, though my PET keyboard stutters a lot Big Grin

-v*
After you change the baud using AT*B and see the "OK" message you would then need to change the terminal's baud rate to be whatever baud rate you selected. I don't know how to set the baud rate in PET TERM as I have never used it.

The baud rate shown in the display will not change until the physical (external) baud rate has changed. I should probably just make that the baud rate that was changed instead of waiting on the first character at the new baud rate to arrive or be sent.

The WiModem is 100% Hayes compatible modem emulator. So, just like with a real modem any changes you make have to be deliberately saved by entering the command AT&W <RETURN>.
Ah, I found the "pet term usage" at their git repo - it has the instructions for how to set the baud rate while in the terminal mode.   English text quickly consumes a lot of memory, so it's no surprise "ancient software" rarely included built-in help (plus the term is loadable from tape and doesn't try to pull in anything extra from disk drive, so can't relay any help that might be on a disk).   

The pet-term stock commands are:

- Clr/Home opens up the PETTERM menu for changing baudrate and character set modes

- Inst/Del is a backspace key

These are near the top of the number pad on the "large keyboard" PET.

So, everything working really great!   300baud is really painful (over 20 seconds to get a full screen of text message), but at 2400 baud that drops to about 3 seconds to receive a full 40x25 screen of text.

The only thing I really wish was: after doing ATDT, the WiModem had a speaker to simulate dialing a number and the carriage connect - it'd be completely fake, and just randomize a number to play in the audio (even if typing an alphanumeric address).  But it would be a cute reminder of those days.

Thanks for the reminder of AT&W, will give it a shot!
Reference images - a BBS connection made possible on a PET by the WiModem w/ OLE connect to the user-port (and "self powered" by a 5v pin on the cassette port).

PET TERM does support some amount of ANSI, but I found it better to say No on ANSI Smile Amazing terminal for 4K RAM!

[attachment=383]

[attachment=384]
Nice! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I am working on a new WiModem, the WiModemII - but I am not sure I will call it that for sure yet because it is not only a modem (up to 250KB/s - that's bytes, not bits!), but also is a hard drive emulator, audio player, audio sampler, and a whole lot more. With that device it will be possible to play the traditional touch tones and modem connect sounds before making the connection.