CBMSTUFF FORUM

Full Version: No Router Located
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am struggling with intermittent issues connecting to my WiFi router.  Occasionally it connects to the router, and everything works fine, but often it reports "No Router Located" after powering on the device.  Attempting to connect using AT*SSID or AT*NS fails, though it sees the available networks using AT*N.  A few days later, I'll plug it in, and everything works without issue.  I thought perhaps my mesh WiFi was to blame, but I set up an older Airport Express to create a new network, and I get the same results. I am running firmware 3.3--it updated earlier today when it was working, but later tonight, it won't connect again. 

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
Check the signal strength of your router by using the AT*N command to show the networks and signal strength. Ideally you will want to see -75dB or lower (lower is better). Otherwise there would not be strong enough signal from your router to be usable.

Keep in mind that the human body is best blocker of 2.4GHz signals, as it contains mostly water. Water and large metal objects block 2.4GHz signals. Make sure you don't have your WiModem232 tucked behind a desk that has metal sides that can block the signal, or have your body between the WiModem232 and your router.
(02-07-2021, 02:19 PM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]Check the signal strength of your router by using the AT*N command to show the networks and signal strength.  Ideally you will want to see -75dB or lower (lower is better).  Otherwise there would not be strong enough signal from your router to be usable.

Keep in mind that the human body is best blocker of 2.4GHz signals, as it contains mostly water.  Water and large metal objects block 2.4GHz signals.  Make sure you don't have your WiModem232 tucked behind a desk that has metal sides that can block the signal, or have your body between the WiModem232 and your router.

I appreciate your support.  The WiModem232 is always able to see available networks using AT*N. My home has a mesh network, so it sees multiple access points with the same SSID.  The closest one, and the one I select using AT*NS#, shows -48dB. Again, it will connect with some trial and error after an emergency reset, but after disconnecting power and reconnecting, it won't connect.  Is it possible to see a log or other real-time information when the WiModem is trying to connect to WiFi?
No, there is no way to view what is going on during a connection from the WiModem232 side. Does your router log the connections?

Have you looked at all of your router settings to see if you have a firewall, or something that disallows or disconnects external devices? I have had several people with routers that would disconnect on low signal strength (anything -70dB or higher). So, they could most of the time connect as long as they were not sitting between the WiModem232 and the router (the human body blocks 2.4GHz signals). Once connected it would work fine until someone in their house walked between the WiModem232 and the router causing the signal strength to dip and the router would disconnect the device. Once they turned that "feature" off, everything worked fine.

What router are you using?
I'm using a new WiFi 6 router provided by Google Fiber (made by Technicolor) for its 2Gig residential service. The router is downstairs and I have three mesh extenders, one in the same room as the WiModem232. I got an older Apple Airport Express out of storage and set it up as an access point (in bridge mode). I had the same problem. I have seen the WiModem show up on the Google router's network map, and it reported it was connected through the closest extender but at a speed of 0Mbps. Now it is no longer listed. I obviously have a large home network with 42 devices connected, but the 2.4GHz network is set up on its own SSID (used mainly for smart home type devices). It is frustrating the router does not provide more granular data. It is very new equipment, so I'm not convinced it is not part of the problem, though no other devices have had similar connection issues. I'll let you know if something changes. Thank you.