CBMSTUFF FORUM

Full Version: Source Code?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any chance of getting the source code to the Copier?

I can't imagine it could hurt sales, since you can't do squat with the Copier without buying the hardware anyway, right?

The reason I ask is because the Copier is not well suited to me for doing batch work right now -- the UI which I think is ideal for doing batch work may be different from the next persons...

For example: I would drop the OK-To-Start-Popup immediately, I would add an option to generate both ADF and SCP files, with ADF coming first so that I can keep an eye on whether the floppy drive head is still healthy. I'd also do something with the filename-entry process, but would have to experiment to figure out what's most efficient. Up til now, I've been using OpenCBM and ZoomFloppy to do 5.25" disks, and have enjoyed the fact that the command line tools allow me the flexibility to wrap my processes in whatever UI I desire.

Thank you for considering my humble Plea. I have around 500 3.5" Amiga disks ahead of me, and thousands of 5.25" disks. It's well worth it to me to invest some time now to smooth out the process for the coming months/years, though not worth it to learn the protocol and start from scratch as the SDK suggests.

- Bo
I had a command line version but I scrapped it because the masses were not interested. Everyone wants to see the progress in a graphical form - I do as well.

I really don't want to release the code to the software because it contains a lot of secrets for decoding data that is typically unreadable. Are you a VB programmer? If so, I can give you the framework for accessing the SCP hardware. If you are a C programmer, there is already source code available for accessing the SCP hardware and making a copier/imager.

There is already a batch function when converting files from .scp to .adf (just select the files and it converts them all).
(05-14-2015, 11:17 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]I had a command line version but I scrapped it because the masses were not interested.  Everyone wants to see the progress in a graphical form - I do as well.

I really don't want to release the code to the software because it contains a lot of secrets for decoding data that is typically unreadable.  Are you a VB programmer?  If so, I can give you the framework for accessing the SCP hardware.  If you are a C programmer, there is already source code available for accessing the SCP hardware and making a copier/imager.

There is already a batch function when converting files from .scp to .adf (just select the files and it converts them all).

Thanks for your response.  I too enjoy the progress.  Of course, I used to sit and run Windows 95 "Defrag" for fun also. Anyway, that's sorta why I wanted the source -- to add the little tweeks that I wanted for my own process, keeping all the other stuff that I like.

So, there are secrets in that program?  Secrets as in "if anyone knew that I knew these things and shared them with others, I would get in deep doo doo"?  Or maybe Secrets as in "these discoveries of mine are gonna make me a billionaire some day"?  It does sound exciting that you have those sorts of algorithms in there -- I'm certain I benefit from that work.  Smile 

Hmm... Perhaps a future version might distribute those "secrets" in a precompiled dll, while open-sourcing just the GUI portion?  That would certainly do for my own purposes.  I'm forced to do all my imaging while also doing other things, so the more "mindless" and seamless I can make the process for me, the faster I can empty this damn closet.

- Bo
The secrets are undocumented functions that are being called that I don't want anyone using yet.