Disks from images.
(02-28-2017, 06:28 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:
(02-27-2017, 07:22 PM)billknopp Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 04:24 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 01:36 PM)billknopp Wrote: Thanks again.

I actually knew that I could not do G64 images to SCP format. I am actually trying to get CP/M disks (Kaypro) and TRS-80 Disks to work from images.  The G64 stuff was just to verify that my drive (the 48tpi one from the Kaypro) will read and write correctly - it does.  I have now actually been able to create an SCP file from a working TRS-80 disk, convert it to an emulator disk type and run it.  I can also copy that SCP file back to a floppy and do the whole process again, no problem so all of the SCP bits are working great.  I just can not take a downloaded image and convert it to SCP and write that to a disk and have it work.  In short, your card is doing everything that is is supposed to do, it is the conversion from downloaded images to SCP wherein the problem lies.  Not really your problem, just hoping that someone has done this and can help guide me.

Thanks again,
Bill

I make Superbrain QD and TRS-80 Model I single and double density disks with no problem from .imd, .dsk or .dmk files. I convert the image to an scp file with HxC then load that into SCP. Ignore the Disk Type. As long as the Copy Mode is Index, it will work. You may have to check the box marked Override File to set the Copy Mode to Index. Once the image is loaded and Copy Mode set to Index, just click on Make Disk and the disk will be created. All the disks I've made: Superbrain, TRSDOS 2.3 (SD), TRSDOS 2.8D (DD)  LDOS (both SD and DD) have worked flawlessly.

Tom L

Hi Tom, thanks for the response.  Out of curiosity, what type of drive are you using?  Also, what settings in HxC?

I use a TEAC 360K HH DSDD floppy drive. I haven't found a High Density (1.2Mb) drive that can reliably write 40 track DSDD floppies even if I bulk erase the diskettes first.
As for HxC, I haven't changed any of the settings so I'm using the defaults. Good luck and have fun!

Tom L
Thanks for the info!  Looks like I may have to get myself a proper DSDD drive.  I have been using a drive out of my Kaypro, but I think it may be SSSD, and that could be my problem.
(02-28-2017, 06:33 AM)billknopp Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 06:28 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:
(02-27-2017, 07:22 PM)billknopp Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 04:24 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 01:36 PM)billknopp Wrote: Thanks again.

I actually knew that I could not do G64 images to SCP format. I am actually trying to get CP/M disks (Kaypro) and TRS-80 Disks to work from images.  The G64 stuff was just to verify that my drive (the 48tpi one from the Kaypro) will read and write correctly - it does.  I have now actually been able to create an SCP file from a working TRS-80 disk, convert it to an emulator disk type and run it.  I can also copy that SCP file back to a floppy and do the whole process again, no problem so all of the SCP bits are working great.  I just can not take a downloaded image and convert it to SCP and write that to a disk and have it work.  In short, your card is doing everything that is is supposed to do, it is the conversion from downloaded images to SCP wherein the problem lies.  Not really your problem, just hoping that someone has done this and can help guide me.

Thanks again,
Bill

I make Superbrain QD and TRS-80 Model I single and double density disks with no problem from .imd, .dsk or .dmk files. I convert the image to an scp file with HxC then load that into SCP. Ignore the Disk Type. As long as the Copy Mode is Index, it will work. You may have to check the box marked Override File to set the Copy Mode to Index. Once the image is loaded and Copy Mode set to Index, just click on Make Disk and the disk will be created. All the disks I've made: Superbrain, TRSDOS 2.3 (SD), TRSDOS 2.8D (DD)  LDOS (both SD and DD) have worked flawlessly.

Tom L

Hi Tom, thanks for the response.  Out of curiosity, what type of drive are you using?  Also, what settings in HxC?

I use a TEAC 360K HH DSDD floppy drive. I haven't found a High Density (1.2Mb) drive that can reliably write 40 track DSDD floppies even if I bulk erase the diskettes first.
As for HxC, I haven't changed any of the settings so I'm using the defaults. Good luck and have fun!

Tom L
Thanks for the info!  Looks like I may have to get myself a proper DSDD drive.  I have been using a drive out of my Kaypro, but I think it may be SSSD, and that could be my problem.

Thank you Tom and Jim for all of your help on this.  I got my 48TPI drive, and have had some good results with TRS80 disks.  BTW - the best results I have had have been using the 48TPI drive and the IBM360 setting in SCP.  Like you said Tom, just make sure that Read/Write Index is set as required, and that copy mode is set to Index, and all is good.  Works great with the 48TPI drive, but can not make it work with 96TPI Drive, so I guess that was money well spent, getting the 48TPI Drive.

Thanks again!
Bill