Backing up C64 floppy disks using a TEAC FD-55GFR on Windows 10
Hi all,

I just got my Super Card Pro and it is successfully able to connect to my TEAC FD-55GFR drive.

I am trying to backup my Commodore 64 disks such as Red Storm Rising and others to G64 images, but i think i have the settings wrong because writing them back to empty floppies or trying to read those images i created by any Commodore 64 emulator leads to failure.

Check the following video showing my attempt to back up Red Storm Rising: https://youtu.be/-OrNsE-LDS0

Can someone please comment on what i am doing, and/or post some clear instructions with screenshots or videos of all the right and recommended settings (drivetype, weakbits, density, copymode,  on how to backup your floppies and how to verify if they were done correctly?
Are you cleaning the heads of your floppy drive?

Is this FD-55GFR drive one with non-half track support?  

With VICE you will need to make sure that you have "true drive emulation" turned on or .g64 files will not work.  When you select a .g64 file with VICE, you should immediately see the directory in the window.  If you don't then it will never load.

You can always send me the .scp image file to data @ cbmstuff.com and I can take a look at the image to tell you what the problem is.  I know disk can be copied/imaged with just INDEX mode, since it was created using a commercial duplication machine.  I am guessing the Teac drive needs cleaning.  You will need to clean the head frequently when making backups and copies.
(02-25-2019, 10:08 PM)admin Wrote: Are you cleaning the heads of your floppy drive?

Is this FD-55GFR drive one with non-half track support?  

With VICE you will need to make sure that you have "true drive emulation" turned on or .g64 files will not work.  When you select a .g64 file with VICE, you should immediately see the directory in the window.  If you don't then it will never load.

You can always send me the .scp image file to data @ cbmstuff.com and I can take a look at the image to tell you what the problem is.  I know disk can be copied/imaged with just INDEX mode, since it was created using a commercial duplication machine.  I am guessing the Teac drive needs cleaning.  You will need to clean the head frequently when making backups and copies.

I'm sorry, I don't know if the FD-55GFR has half track support or not.

And the emulator I tried was not vice but CCS64. Maybe that is why?

I'll clean the drive and send you a few of the files I generated as you suggested.
I am not sure how CCS64 handles .g64. I use WinVICE, and it is nice because you can see the tracks loading, and it shows you the directory of a disk image (.d64 or .g64) when you select the filename.

I will check out the images when they arrive and let you know what is going on. It could be that the jumpers for your drive are wrong, and the density is inverted.