XON/XOFF flow control
Is it possible to get support for XON/XOFF flow control? I've been having trouble with DesTerm 2.01 when connecting at 9600 baud to a few BBSes. Using Commodore emulation, BBS menus deliver an inconsistent experience. Unfortunately RTS/CTS is not supported with this client.
Supporting Xon/Xoff would result in a significant slow down of the throughput of all protocols. This is why I have not supported it. Every character has to be checked for its value to see if it is the Xon/Xoff flow control character. I don't know if I want to slow everything else down to support a protocol that nobody is using.

I was told that DesTerm supports RTS/CTS? Even the stock C64 and C128 user port supports RTS/CTS without anything special.
every other modem "bridge" can do xon/xoff without problems....
(09-09-2018, 09:44 PM)admin Wrote: Supporting Xon/Xoff would result in a significant slow down of the throughput of all protocols.  This is why I have not supported it.  Every character has to be checked for its value to see if it is the Xon/Xoff flow control character.  I don't know if I want to slow everything else down to support a protocol that nobody is using.

Would it be possible to support Xon/Xoff, but have this feature disabled by default?  Perhaps the AT&K command could be updated so that &K1 = RTS/CTS flow control, and &K2 = XON/XOFF flow control.  It Xon/Xoff is disabled by default I think that would address the performance issue for anyone who doesn't require the feature.

Regarding DesTerm & RTS/CTS support: It appears to be supported in 3.02, however the Commodore character emulation does not work properly.  Checking the manual for 3.02, it does not appear that the Commodore character set emulation was an intended feature of build 3.02.  At a minimum, there is no documentation for the Commodore character set feature in 3.02.

In order to get the Commodore character set working reliably, it appears that you need to run DesTerm version 2.  Version 2 does not appear to have RTS/CTS support, but it does offer XON/XOFF support.  The manual recommends that you enable XON/XOFF which is why I'm requesting this feature to be added if possible.

Below are some common AT&K flow control options I found online for reference, apparently some modems even support both to be enabled at the same time.

Code:
Common AT&K Flow control options

&K0 Disable flow control
&K3 Enable RTS/CTS flow control
&K4 Enable XON/XOFF flow control
&K5 Support transparent XON/XOFF flow control
&K6 Enable RTS/CTS and XON/XOFF flow control
I could certainly support it - but it kills the 230400 baud completely (and maybe 115200 baud as well?) and that is being used by myself and many others. I can look perhaps making split code for supporting low baud rates with the parsing of characters.