[SOLVED] Can't Connect to tty.sdf.org
I've found an issue in the current firmware that is a little perplexing. Everything seems to work except for connecting to tty.sdf.org:23. 

What happens after initial three-way-handshake is a single telnet packet is passed resulting in garbled characters and then hangs. I dropped Bo's firmware on a dev board and did some testing and it seems to connect as it should.

Any ideas on what this could be?
I have no idea what this is.  The WiModem is for connecting to BBS's, and does not support Telnet parsing.  I will have to look into this.
(10-11-2017, 08:39 PM)admin Wrote: I have no idea what this is.  The WiModem is for connecting to BBS's, and does not support Telnet parsing.  I will have to look into this.

Thanks for looking. I've been working with the ESP's for a long time and I've never seen this happen either. The base AT firmware seems to be functional with C64<->SDF as well. I assume your firmware was built using the same toolchain.

Like I said, i find this one perplexing since every other telnet connection works perfectly fine with your firmware. Within the limits of the terminal software...

I'll do a little more packet analysis as time allows. In my short inspection, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the initial negotiation though.
I looked at one of the open source firmwares for the ESP8266 and see that it supports Telnet escaping. I don't do this, so this is likely the problem. I created all of my code from scratch, long before there were any of the other modems using the ESP8266. I am looking into adding telnet escaping into my code today.
(10-12-2017, 09:45 AM)admin Wrote: I looked at one of the open source firmwares for the ESP8266 and see that it supports Telnet escaping.  I don't do this, so this is likely the problem.  I created all of my code from scratch, long before there were any of the other modems using the ESP8266.  I am looking into adding telnet escaping into my code today.

Awesome find. I didn't get much time to look at it yesterday evening to do a byte for byte compare. 

I am a little curious about comparing the DO's and DONT's of the telnet negotiation between what works and what doesn't.

Thanks again Jim
I just added the basic DO/DONT/WILL/WONT functions and now I can log into the tty.sdf.org. I am not sure how many of the various functions I will need to add, but it seems to work ok so far.

Just type ATUPDATE to update the firmware.
Still getting the same thing with 1.95 with Novaterm96. Which software/terminal/baud are you using so I can replicate your test environment?
I am using 2400 baud with CCGMS, but the terminal or baud rate won't matter. There were issues today with tty.sdf.org not responding with other modems that support telnet, so perhaps try again. I noticed that it sometimes takes a long time to respond - like up to 20 seconds, while other times it's instant.
I just tried it at 9600 baud with CCGMS and it works fine. I am able to log in and go to BOOP room and such.
(10-12-2017, 04:54 PM)admin Wrote: I just tried it at 9600 baud with CCGMS and it works fine.  I am able to log in and go to BOOP room and such.

Very interesting. I still have issues even getting a logon prompt. I've tried two other C64's, moved from home LAN to hotspot, switched to CCGMS, and moved back to C64 stock rom.

The only thing I've not done is try without 1541 Ultimate II. I'll try that next, but I can't imagine that has much to do with it. Every other BBS or telnet machine I connect to works fine except for this one.

I may need to factory reset the WiModem as well.

I'm also going to try connecting by IP.  It looks like there are 4 IP's for that domain.