Simple G64 creation
I wonder if someone can help me please?

I recently received and set up my supercard pro which as far as I can see is working perfectly. The task I am attempting is to back up/extract files from my old C64 disks, most of which are simple format with straight forward files - by that I mean formatted disks created using standard BASIC commands.

I am reading them with a Chinon 5.25 drive which supports 48 and 96 TPI - and I have set it to 48. Using the default track settings, I am making G64 images. These I am attempting to load into Winvice and CCS64 without any luck. Am I being too simplistic here? should this work? I have tried all sorts of different track settings, half tracks, splice etc but I'm really unsure of the settings to use.

I still have a working C64 setup with a 1541II drive and can load/save/format successfully. I created a simple C64 disk with standard format and saved a "hello world" program on it but using the chinon/supercard setup, cannot seem to create an image to use with an emulator. This is possible isn't it?

Any suggestions?

with thanks,

Deany
I don't have a way currently to convert disks that were created without the tracks starting on the index pulse. You can copy disks that were not created using the index pulse (like your data disks) using the SPLICE mode, but you can't convert images of these disks to .g64 or .d64 yet. This is something that I need to get around to doing.
Hello, thanks for your reply

Bummer. I was hoping that I was simply doing something silly. I saw the .g64 file extension and matched that up with some emulators and assumed at least one would read the supercard output. Perhaps I should have asked that question on here first. What is the g64 output for?

I used to be a games developer primarily on the Sinclair / Amstrad systems and my C64 experience is not as full as on those systems. I'd like to extract the data from the old C64 disks without going to the trouble of making complicated bespoke leads or going overboard on buying equipment that I can only use for really one task.

I chose the supercard as it looked like I could access all disk formats with one device as I also have 3" CPC/+3 disks to read which I will be investigating with the supercard unit although I think I need a little interface/lead of some sort to connect a drive up. Although I suppose I may end up with the same issue of only being able to duplicate but not extract to an emulator.

> This is something that I need to get around to doing.

being a developer myself I know how long these things can take - I have lots of little jobs that are in the 'to do' pile! I'd be very grateful if you could look into this feature though - it would be a very useful addition to the software,
There are people already converting CPC disks using the HxC floppy emulator software (free download), so those disks are not an issue. It's just C64 disks that can't be converted currently.
(03-01-2015, 03:57 PM)admin Wrote: There are people already converting CPC disks using the HxC floppy emulator software (free download), so those disks are not an issue.  It's just C64 disks that can't be converted currently.

Hi, loooong time between replies, sorry, but I've only recently been able to get back onto my task of 'C64 disk extraction' - mostly due to trouble in tracking down an old 360K 5.25" drive - mostly!

FYI, I am creating G64 files with default settings, with index pulse etc.  nothing non-standard.

When you say that C64 disk can't be converted currently, does this mean that the G64 format that the supercard writes out is for some other purpose?  I've tried the 64copy app from  :- 

http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~schepers/download.html

which does all sorts of C64 disk conversions and when I try to convert a supercard G64 to a D64 it warns of 'errors in the data sector' (or something akin to that).  I have tried another command line tool that is supposed to do the same conversion and, like 64copy, I get a D64 file with disk catalog but large files are corrupt.  Some very small files (e.g. a simple 'Hello World' in BASIC) will load into an emulator.

The HxC  floppy emulator reads .scp files but won't write anything back out that I can use!

I have made working copies of disks for use back on the C64 but that ultimately was not my aim.  Is there anything that can be done or am I attempting something that simply cannot be done with the supercard's G64 output?

Huh
If the disk was created using the index pulse as a reference for starting/stopping the track then the .g64 will be immediately usable in any emulator that supports .g64 format. 99.9% of commercial disks were produced this way. I assume that emulation is your goal here. This was never my goal when I designed SuperCard Pro - making exact working disks was.

SuperCard Pro creates working disks using a .scp image (in SPLICE mode) because it goes through multiple revolutions and finds the start/end of the track when it goes to write the data back out. The .g64 converter does not do that. It requires that the track starts/stop in reference to the index pulse. What I really need to do is finish the .d64 converter for .scp images. I have preliminary code done, but I have not finished it yet.
Thanks for your reply,

Emulation is my goal - to simply image my old working code/graphics disks from that games writing era of late the 80's - for sorting and release to the retro sites (I have some unreleased stuff they're interested in) and if I can't get this .g64 method working I may have to simply get a load of blanks, copy the disks and send them in the post. I thought virtual disks would be a better method though (certainly more 'modern') but it is proving more complicated than I thought!

I have a few commercially produced disks but still can't get a .g64 file into an emulator - is there a default set up to use or am I also then up against any copy protection that the producers may have added? Do they vary the number of tracks? can the Supercard tell me this info? If instructions for this are already written for the uninitiated like me, please tell me - I don't expect you to give me intricate details here.

You must understand here that although I used the CBM64 lots, I never got deep into the workings or formats of the disks. For example, if I use BASIC to format a disk, (open #15 something something if I remember rightly) does that create a disk with index pulses?

The .d64 to output/converter would obviously sort this out but I understand how long software takes sometimes.

Would there be any merit in me sending an scp or .g64 file for you to examine?
For standard commercial disks, just use INDEX mode tracks 1-38 with the C64 disk type.  That's really it.

MAKE SURE you have a disk head cleaner and use it frequently!!  It only takes one crummy disk to dirty the head where nothing will read from that point.  I am typically cleaning the head just about every disk that I image.

You are always welcome to send .scp images... you can send them to data (@) cbmstuff.com

You can also load an image into the editor/analyzer and take a look at the flux graphically.  It's REALLY easy to see if the disk is bad or head is dirty.

I am working on the .d64 creator.  My goal was to try to get that done today, but it's not going to happen.  I have to re-write the GCR converter to be just like the 1541 and syncronize the SYNC bits.
Hi, a quick reply as I am at work. I will try the standard commercial disk to .g64 test as you suggest AND clean the head regularly - I have cleaned them recently but I hear what you say about how quickly they get dirty - I will bear that in mind.

If I fail to get a .g64, I'll send on an SCP or two for you to check-out at your leisure.

That's good news on the .d64 front - I hope that's not too tricky - and I certainly offer my services to test my old disks with it if you need it,

(aggh! lunch was over 4 mins ago!)
Ha... don't get fired!

The head(s) being dirty is the number one cause of a bad read. Second would be a dirty disk, followed by just plain bad media. You may find that you have to clean the surface of the disk. Make sure you use 91% alcohol. You don't want to use the lower percentage because it leaves a water residue that binds with the oxide forming a crust. A soft cotton swab and alcohol (with no real pressure) is the best way to clean the disk. Ideally, you should have something that turns the disk while you cleaning it.