CommdoreServer V-1541 instructions
Hi there,

Can you please explain how to use the WiModem with the V-1541 program on C64 to connect to commodoreserver?
I dont seem to get it working...

Best regards,
Mephisztoe
1) Load a terminal program and connect to commodoreserver.com:1541

2) Exit the terminal program (still connected)

3) Insert the V1541 disk and type: Load "V1541",8,1 <RETURN>

4) After V1541 has loaded, type: NEW <RETURN>

5) Then type SYS49152 <RETURN>. You should see a message about V1541 installed.

6) Load CometChat or whatever you want to use with Commodore Server.

Ideally, I should write a small BASIC program that loads V1541, opens the serial port and then connects to Commodore Server.
Thanks! That really did the trick. However, since I am using NovaTerm, I had to reset the C64 after connecting to commodoreserver.com and exiting from NovaTerm (sys 64738 worked).

NovaTerm takes quite a while to load from disk, so it would be great having a BASIC "bootloader" that opens the Connection. As I am new to this, I don't know how to do this. I guess it's about opening the rs232 line on device 2 and sending AT commands?

It's not even easy to find documentation about that, lol.
Once V1541 is active, you just need type the following:

10 OPEN2,2,2
20 PRINT#2,"ATDTCOMMODORESERVER.COM:1541"
30 CLOSE2

RUN

When you run this program you should see it connect to Commodore Server.  You can save this program to drive 8 by typing:

SAVE"NAME",8

You can change the "NAME" to any name you like.
This works perfectly!

I found out that there is a Login helper in CSAPPS.D64 within the public root Directory.
I d/l the program and saved it locally. I then tried to add a couple of lines to load the V-1541 application, execute it and then open up device 2 for a Connection to commodoreserver.com as you described. The idea was to chain everything together including Login.

However, this does not seem to work. I guess, I am missing some Point. The Basic program starts loading the V-1541 application but never finishes it it seems.
Yes, you are going to need something that can load the V1541 software (,8,1) and do the SYS49152 call and then continue on. This is difficult in BASIC. You basically have to print the text to the screen and then move the cursor to the start of of the LOAD"V1541",8,1 and fill the keyboard buffer with two returns so that the load is done, then the SYS is done, and then continue. It's a LOT easier to accomplish in assembly code - but it can be done in BASIC.
(07-15-2016, 08:49 AM)admin Wrote: Once V1541 is active, you just need type the following:

10 OPEN2,2,2
20 PRINT#2,"ATDTCOMMODORESERVER.COM:1541"
30 CLOSE2

RUN

When you run this program you should see it connect to Commodore Server.  You can save this program to drive 8 by typing:

SAVE"NAME",8

You can change the "NAME" to any name you like.

Thanks. Does this just use whatever baud rate is set on the WiModem already? (I seem to recall that this OPEN statement would normally open a modem in 300 baud or lower. I'm not sure how modems or the WiModem work if you try communicating with them at a bps lower than what they're expecting.)
The standard V1541 uses 2400 baud, which is the default baud rate of the WiModem.
To use 38400 in V-1541, is this the right procedure?

1. Issue in a terminal:
AT&K1
AT*R0
AT*C0
AT*B38400
2. Change terminal's baud to 38400
3. Issue ATDT commodoreserver.com
4. Leave terminal
5. Run V-1541

I haven't successfully been able to communicate with the WiModem itself at 38400 yet. I assume the AT&K1 to enable hardware handshaking is necessary, as it is in 9600 mode.
No, that's not the proper order.

There are NO terminal programs that will support more than 9600 baud using the C64's user port. You must run V1541 first, as that is the driver that handles 38400.