The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

CBMSTUFF FORUM
[Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - Printable Version

+- CBMSTUFF FORUM (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum)
+-- Forum: CBMSTUFF PRODUCTS (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: SuperCard Pro (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: PC disks (https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive (/showthread.php?tid=641)

Pages: 1 2

[Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - wylda - 08-02-2019

With bellow mentioned settings, I am able to create SCP dump without any issue. Unfortunately when I use HxCFloppyEmulator.exe v2.1.24.1 to export this SCP into IMG (RAW sectors) it list files and its filesize correctly, but content of those files is scrambled (two initial small files are correct and the rest of 45 files has different scrambled content).

I also tried "SAMdisk.exe scan my_image.scp" and it displays following warnings (maybe harmless?):

Code:
Warning: unknown MFM mark (00) on cyl 5 head 1 at offset 3350
Warning: unknown MFM mark (FC) on cyl 13 head 1 at offset 5298
Warning: unknown MFM mark (FC) on cyl 13 head 1 at offset 5298
Warning: unknown MFM mark (61) on cyl 27 head 0 at offset 7463
40 Cyls, 2 Heads:
300Kbps MFM,  9 sectors,  512 bytes/sector:
  0.0  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Warning: late track start may indicate missing first sector

When i use WinImage, it creates 360KB image properly with correct file checksums.

Back to the SCP - I have 1.2MB drives (3x TEAC & 1xNEC) and dumped this 360KB floppy with these SCP setting:
  • Drive-Type: 5.25" - 96TPI
  • Weakbits: Fixed
  • Density-Reads: Low
  • Index-Sensor-Reads: Required
  • Backside-Control: None
  • Preservation: Checked
  • Disk-Types: IBM 360K
  • Copy-Mode: Index
  • Half-tracks: Checked + Unchecked (did two dumps)

Not being able to properly create an image dump, when WinImage can handle that, would be pretty frustrating.  Confused

I still hope, that this can be fixed  Wink

RE: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - admin - 08-02-2019

SuperCard Pro dumps the flux data as it comes off of the drive. That is its only job. You can use that data to re-create a working disk.

You can dump 360K and 1.2MB disks with a 96 TPI drive. I am not sure what problem you are having, but if it is with other software besides mine, you can contact the authors to ask about settings for their software.

RE: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - wylda - 08-03-2019

Thank you for assuring, that one can make a proper dump of 360K disk on 96TPI drive. Will i be able to use this 96TPI dump and write it on real 48TPI drive or is some conversion needed before writing on different type of floppy-drive?

For the community / some people it is equally important to be able to:
 1. write it again
 2. export the data

Is there any recommended tool to export data from SCP dump? I think i read on the forum, that i can export the data with HxCFloppyEmulator. I tried to use version v2.1.24.1, but data are corrupted. Sure it _could_ be a bug in that HxC tool. But SAMdisk also shows that there is an issue with SCP dump. Sorry, maybe i use that tool incorrectly. I admit i'm newbie.

So is there any recommended way to export the data from SCP file? If not recommended at least tested and known to be correct?

There is the example of an old book bundled 360KB floppy with both good & bad examples inside the ZIP:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1mjf4FyMRWDIx0k0I0oRE_jY8eND5pupv

Thank you for your support!

RE: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - SomeGuy - 08-03-2019

The problem is that with the settings described above, the Supercard Pro fails to double step, as one would expect.

Any dump using those settings only contains the first 20 actual tracks from each side, with every other track empty or gibberish.

While selecting "1.44", or some other 80 cylinder format will capture all 40 tracks on each side, that will also capture the drives physical odd numbered tracks that usually contain gibberish. It is important to be able to omit these tracks, since some decoder tools will crap themselves when decoding, or insert extraneous garbage in to an image file.

It is therefore very important that people be allowed to double step or otherwise omit the physical odd cylinders.

---
wylda, as to the matter of writing 360k disks dumped with a 1.2mb (360rpm) drive using a 360k (300rpm) drive or vice versa, no the SuperCard Pro will not do that. The SuperCard pro will not adjust the bitrates to match the drives RPMs.

Attempting to write any track read on a 360rpm drive (1.2mb) using a 300rpm drive (360k or quad density) will cause it to write the track faster than it should and it will be "squished" and usually unreadable. The other way around, and the track will be to long, overwriting part of itself.

The Kryoflux, however, has a feature that converts the bitrates written between 300RPM and 360RPM drives. So with that tool it IS possible.

With the SuperCard Pro software as it is, if you want to make a preservation dump that others can write using a 360k drive then the only good solution is to dump it with a genuine 360k drive.

RE: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - admin - 08-03-2019

You can double-step.  Use the pull-down menu to select the TPI for the drive in question.  You can also write 360 RPMs dumps on a 300 RPM drive, just make sure you select the proper drive type (48TPI/96TPI) and the disk type.  You will need to tick the "override" box to force the disk type change.

You can also use HxC Floppy Drive Emulator to change the disk type during the export.

RE: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - SomeGuy - 08-03-2019

That does not work. When I try dumping with that, I get the same results as wylda - a dump that only contains the first half of the disk plus possible garbage because it single stepped.

Lets take this step by step then.

I attach a 1.2mb Teac floppy drive to my Supercard Pro. I start the software and it finds the drive OK. It displays the disk copier. I insert a 360k disk in to the drive.

Exactly what options are we supposed to select, and in what order, so that it double steps?

RE: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - admin - 08-04-2019

When dumping a disk to an image file select 96TPI drive from the pull-down menu and IBM 360K as the disk type.

The image file format contains a flag with the drive speed, either 300 RPMs or 360 RPMs. and each track has an exact index to index time, which is what everyone should be using for determining the actual bitcell timing. This is what should be used for converting between 360 and 300 RPM drives.

RE: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - SomeGuy - 08-04-2019

Done.

I go to Drive Settings > DriveType > and Check "5.25" 96TPI"

(Density under Drive Settings > Density > Reads is already set to Low)

I select IBM 360K from "Disk Types"

I select the Target Device as Flux Image File

Then I click Make Image and enter the file name.

Visibly watching my drive head, the drive appears to single step over 40 cylinders, and the process stops after the head has moved only half way, never reaching the last physical track.

Here is the result:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=95163363307562885582

Running it through several disk utilities, I see (on both heads):

Recorded track 0 contains track 0
Recorded track 1 is blank
Recorded track 2 contains track 1
Recorded track 3 contains decoded gibberish
Recorded track 4 contains track 2
Recorded track 5 contains decoded gibberish
Recorded track 6 contains track 3

And so on to:
Recorded track 38 contains track 19
Recorded track 39 contains is blank
And then it ends.

This is similar to wylda's results.

SCP software version reports itself as "v1.96 Hardware v1.1 - Firmware v1.1"

What am I doing wrong?

RE: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - admin - 08-04-2019

I will take a look, maybe I broke that with the new v1.96 update that I just released? You could try setting the disk type to C64 and see if the double-step works - if so then I broke something for sure.

I don't keep track of what other software does with SCP files, so I can't comment on that.

RE: [Feature Request] properly dump IBM-PC 360KB floppy on 1.2MB drive - admin - 08-11-2019

I have made a new version that should fix what I broke with low density disks in 96 TPI drives.