CBMSTUFF FORUM

Full Version: [Solved] WiModem on C64 Reloaded : Interference?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Anyone else getting slight screen "interference" issues on a C64 Reloaded? (Text on the screen is wiggling at random when wimodem is connected).
I don't notice any "interference" issues on a normal breadbox C64.
I tried shielding the C64 reloaded but that didn't seem to do anything.

Update : Swapping the replacement 8701 with a real one solved the issue.

edit: please note that the you can use a real 8701 in the C64Reloaded Mk1 board, but the Mk2 board does not have this option (it is built into the board).  Until Individual Computers corrects this issue, the Mk2 can generate interference while using the WiModem.
That doesn't happen on the two C64 ReLoaded systems I have here!  What power supply are you using?  Maybe it's not enough current?
(03-10-2017, 07:49 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]That doesn't happen on the two C64 ReLoaded systems I have here!  What power supply are you using?  Maybe it's not enough current?

I'm using the power supply that came with the C64 reloaded.
2000mA.

I can also hear the wimodem searching for a router through the speakers of my PVM (ticking sound that stops once the router is found).
I am using a walwart. I didn't get anything with my boards.
(03-10-2017, 07:30 AM)Amon_RA Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else getting slight screen "interference" issues on a C64 Reloaded? (Text on the screen is wiggling at random when wimodem is connected).

Do you have original pla and 8701 chips? With my board it helped swapping the 8701 replacement with a real one.
(03-11-2017, 01:13 AM)captain_zzap Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2017, 07:30 AM)Amon_RA Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else getting slight screen "interference" issues on a C64 Reloaded? (Text on the screen is wiggling at random when wimodem is connected).

Do you have original pla and 8701 chips? With my board it helped swapping the 8701 replacement with a real one.

I swapped the 8701 for a real one and the issue is gone!
Thank you so much for the tip!!!

Still running the replacement PLA as it isn't giving me any problems at the moment.
Hmm... I have the replacement 8701 in my C64 ReLoaded boards. I wonder if it's a difference in the power supply? I am using a 2.5A walwart that is a switching type.
(03-11-2017, 09:28 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm... I have the replacement 8701 in my C64 ReLoaded boards.  I wonder if it's a difference in the power supply?  I am using a 2.5A walwart that is a switching type.

I don't think it's related to the power supply. A real 8701 uses more power than the replacement version, right?

Maybe the replacement 8701 is a bit sensitive to RF noise?

I'm running in PAL mode if that makes any difference (living in EU).
(03-11-2017, 12:41 PM)Amon_RA Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2017, 09:28 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm... I have the replacement 8701 in my C64 ReLoaded boards.  I wonder if it's a difference in the power supply?  I am using a 2.5A walwart that is a switching type.

I don't think it's related to the power supply. A real 8701 uses more power than the replacement version, right?

Maybe the replacement 8701 is a bit sensitive to RF noise?

I'm running in PAL mode if that makes any difference (living in EU).
The 8701 replacement seems to have problems with the reloaded board in some cases, even without a connected WiModem. I have read two threads on forum64.de with 8701 replacement related problems and had issues myself.
Thanks for the info - that's good to know!
Pages: 1 2 3 4